Cosmetic surgery offers you a wide range of choices for different types of procedures that can be performed on parts of a person’s body that require some aesthetic enhancements. Today even a woman’s genital area may also go through a cosmetic enhancement procedure.
A Labiaplasty is also referred to as the Designer vagina, Labia minora reduction or Labial reduction is a plastic surgery procedure that trims the length of a woman’s labia minora. It is the most common vaginal rejuvenation procedure performed on women.
Surgery typically results in a shorter labia that no longer hangs down below the level of the hair-bearing labia majora. Most patients take a week off from work to recover from any side effects, during which they can reduce swelling and pain by icing. While the most distorting swelling is gone by 6 weeks, residual swelling may take six months to disappear.
Vaginal rejuvenation is a set of different cosmetic procedures intended to enhance the female genitalia. Generally speaking, most women who undergo this type of cosmetic procedure have been recorded to be dissatisfied with how their vagina looks. However, a labia minora reduction is not entirely intended for aesthetic purposes. There are medical reasons where this procedure is somewhat necessary. Depending on its length, your labia minora can cause:
- Pain during sexual intercourse, if they get tucked into your vaginaIrritation and discomfort while wearing underwear or swimsuit
- Discomfort while walking or doing your regular activities
- Physical discomfort (e.g. rashes, infections, chafing) due to its shape and size
According to some research, most women actually experience low self-esteem and embarrassment due to their asymmetrical, large and/or unusual shape vagina. As a result, these women tend to refrain from sexual intercourse and from wearing tight clothing or bathing suits. For women who consider having a labiaplasty, ideal candidates for this type of surgical cosmetic procedure are:
- Those who do not smoke
- Those who have overall good health
- And those who have realistic expectations from labiaplasty
A labiaplasty is not advisable for younger girls who are below eighteen years old. This is because their labia may still continue to grow and develop from puberty into their early adulthood.
While there isn’t really a medical guide as to what is the standard length for a labia, what women know is based on what they see online or what they see from other women is that, labia minora is typically tucked inside the labia majora. Furthermore, there are natural causes that affect the appearance of your labia, these are common:
- Natural aging process
Once you have decided to undergo the procedure, the first thing that you should do is to schedule a consultation. During your initial consultation, your surgeon will discuss the actual procedure, expected results, possible risks and side effects. Your surgeon will also need to examine your genitals while you’re positioned in stirrups, you may also be given a hand mirror while your surgeon discusses your anatomy and your expected outcome.
There are two types of Labiaplasty procedure:
- Trim labiaplasty – also known as edge incision, linear and amputation labiaplasty. This type of labiaplasty procedure is a good choice for women who don’t like their thick, dark pigmented and rough-edged labia. This is also the most common labiaplasty procedure. In trim technique, an incision will be done to remove the outer edges of your inner labia; doing so will trim away the dark parts of your labia.
- Wedge labiaplasty – this is an alternative to the trim technique. During this type of procedure, your surgeon will remove a “V” shaped wedge from both sides of your labia and then stitch both sides together. A wedge labiaplasty, however, often leaves the dark part of your labia intact; this is usually not a good choice for most women.
The goal of labiaplasty, in general, is to reduce the length of your labia minora so that it won’t hang below your labia majora. This type of cosmetic procedure can be done under either local anesthesia with oral sedation or under general anesthesia. In addition, your incisions will be closed with sutures.
Length of Stay in Destination
A Labiaplasty can be an outpatient procedure if you have undergone the procedure using local anesthesia you may be allowed to go back to your hotel after your surgery. However, if you have been under general anesthesia, you will have to stay at least twenty-four hours in the hospital. Follow up checkups with your surgeon are very important to monitor and assess your recovery and healing. Furthermore, your stitches will be removed after a few days, depending on how your wounds are healing. You should expect to stay in the Country for at least 7-10 days post-op.
Pain and discomfort are to be expected during the first few days after your surgery, you will be given pain medications. Usually, most patients take a week off from work while they recover from the surgery. You may go back to your normal daily routines, including exercise after a month.
While you are recovering, it is advisable that you wear mini pads with loose and comfortable pants while you still experience some minor bleeding. To reduce your swelling and pain within the first week, your surgeon may advise you to apply ice wrapped in a towel “twenty-minutes on and twenty minutes off” or you may also be advised to lie with your bottom elevated to help reduce the swelling.
You will also be instructed not to use tampons during your first period after your surgery. Sexual intercourse must also be strictly avoided within the first four to six weeks.
Labiaplasty has a high success rate of over 90%, women who have undergone this type of cosmetic procedure were recorded to be very happy and satisfied with the end results. Studies show that these women have experienced a boost in their self-esteem, following their labia minora reduction procedure.
However, just like any type of surgery, a labiaplasty also poses some risks and side effects. While these risks and side effects may only happen on a rare occasion, becoming aware of the following is still necessary:
- Scarring of tissue
- Reduced sensitivity of the genitals
- Allergic reaction to the anesthetic
- A blood clot in a vein during the surgery
Alternatives to Labiaplasty Procedure
While cosmetic surgeries on the female genitals have increased over the years, not all women are actually brave enough to go under the knife to improve their physical appearance. Given our technological medical advancements, we now have some non-invasive alternatives to labiaplasty:
- Kegel exercise – this type of exercise is directed to the core muscle groups that affect your vaginal tone. This is highly recommended to women who have swollen vaginal lips with an overall loss of vaginal skin elasticity.
- Laser vaginal rejuvenation or Laser labiaplasty – this type of non-invasive procedure reconstructs the damaged muscles and tissues of your vaginal cavity to reduce both your internal and external vaginal diameters.
Additional factors to consider:
- The procedure that can be performed under local anesthesia with oral sedation or under general anesthesia.
- The risks associated with labiaplasty include those of most surgical procedures, including bleeding, hematoma, and infection. The most common complication is over-resection.
- There is no surgery of the inside of the vagina, that procedure is known as the vaginoplasty, which is performed to tighten the vaginal walls.
- Patient reviews often talk of a reduction in physical discomfort and an improved body image, self-esteem, and confidence.
To check prices or to book a Labiaplasty Procedure in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, head on over to MyMediTravel now!