Simple orchiectomy is a surgery to remove one or both testicles; you will need to understand all the benefits and risks that come with this procedure. So, here are the top benefits and risks of simple orchiectomy:
The benefits of simple orchiectomy
- Ease symptoms and prevent problems with prostate cancer – Removing one or both testicles through a small cut in the scrotum can limit the amount of testosterone that your body makes. Since prostate cancer needs testosterone to continue growing, the procedure will ease and prevent problems with prostate cancer.
- Manage and treat male breast cancer – Similar to treating prostate cancer, limiting the amount of testosterone that your body makes through simple orchiectomy can help treat male breast cancer.
- Help transgender women transition from male to female – Simple orchiectomy is often done before male to female sex reassignment surgery. Removing the scrotum helps transgender women transition from male to female.
The risks of simple orchiectomy
- Hormone changes – Simple orchiectomy can cause sudden hormone changes in your body. This can lead to side effects, such as loss of sexual interest, erection problems, sterility, hot flashes, weight gain, larger breasts (gynecomastia), loss of muscle mass, and thin bones (osteoporosis).
- Damage to kidneys, liver, thyroid glands
- Blood clots – The surgical risk of simple orchiectomy is the formation of blood clots. A blood clot is a clump of blood that has transformed from liquid to a gel-like state. When a blood clot forms inside your veins, does not dissolve on its own and travels through your veins, it can be very dangerous and life-threatening.
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia – Can cause mild to moderate side effects, such as hives, rash, itchy skin, cough, and swelling. However, in some rare cases, it can lead to a life-threatening reaction called anaphylaxis.
These risks may seem scary, but for most people, the benefits outweigh the risks. All of the risks of the procedure can be reduced if your surgery is performed by a board-certified professional. Finding a qualified and skilled surgeon can be a stressful process. Therefore, let the team at MyMediTravel do the leg work and find the best surgeon for you. Just head to their website, request a free quote, sit back and relax, and wait for them to reach out to you with the best recommendations.