MyMediTravel has teamed up with Doctors, Surgeons, and Clinics to offer you a fabulous selection of Plastic and Cosmetic surgery procedures. Many of our customers shared the same opinion that Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery were actually the same. So what is the difference? While both plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery aim to improve a patient’s body, there are differences:
Plastic Surgery is reconstructive surgery aimed at reconstructing the burnt, cut, or damaged part of the body. Functional abnormalities due to accidents, burns, injuries, cancers, fractures, tumors, medical impairments, congenital defects including cleft palate, cleft lip, spina bifida, etc., fractured body parts are also treated under plastic surgery. The most common reconstructive procedure is the redevelopment of removed breasts in cancer patients, hand surgery, and the removal of tumors.
Cosmetic surgery or aesthetic surgery is involved in enhancing your physical beauty. It is not for the treatment of any disease or ailment. Your physical appearance is changed according to your desire by performing a surgery. Facial features are altered by reshaping of the nose, chin implants, lip implants, brow lifting, eyelid lifting, and face lifting. Butt implants, breast implants, breast lift. and neck contouring is also prevalent. The likes of liposuction and Tummy Tucks also fall under this category.
Plastic Surgery Procedures
The procedures vary according to the purpose for which surgery is being performed. Following are some of the procedures used in plastic surgery:
- Skin Grafting involves taking a healthy piece of skin from a donor site and implanting it into a damaged Recipient site. Skin is removed from one site of your own body.
- Flap Surgery, in this type of plastic surgery a piece of flesh is transferred from one body part to the other. This piece of tissue carries its own blood supply and heals faster. It is used to treat the more complicated type of disorders.
- Tissue Expansion, as the name indicates, the body grows extra tissue by the extension of the surrounding skin. A device called an expander is used in this method. It is a balloon-like machine that is inserted under the skin near the defected area which needs to be repaired. This is filled with saltwater allowing the skin to expand and grow.
- Microsurgery, in this technique, very small sutures are used to connect arteries, veins, and nerves in the transplanted tissue. It makes the healing process rapid.
Length of Stay in Destination
This also depends upon the type of surgery being performed. Complex surgeries require a long stay in the hospital. For example, if someone is going through reconstructive surgery for burns, the duration of stay in the hospital depends upon the percentage of the burnt area. It is referred to as total body surface area burnt (TBSA%). In cases of severe burns, the stay is longer. For breast tumor removal two methods are used. In a lumpectomy, only the tumor along with some surrounding tissue is removed and the patient is discharged the same day. While in the case of mastectomy, the whole breast tissue is removed leaving the chest flat. It requires an overnight stay at the hospital. 2 days are needed if the breasts are reconstructed after the removal of the tumor. Similarly, different cosmetic surgeries require a different stay at hospital time. Butt lift surgery demands variable time which depends on your pain tolerance and healing speed. But in most cases, a minimum of 10-14 days post-op stay in the local area is required for the removal of stitches and for follow up checks, etc.
This too depends upon the type of surgery performed. It is advised to give yourself plenty of time for recovery. This will make you happy if you recover in less than the estimated time. In the case of a breast transplant, you can return to work after 5-7 days. In three months, the swelling subsides and the breasts get proper size and shape. Butt lift surgery demands four months for complete recovery. Liposuction of different body parts needs different recovery times. Vaginal rejuvenation requires 3 to 6 weeks for recovery in which you need to abstain from sexual intercourse. Rhinoplasty shows an early setting within one month. However, complete results are seen after 1 year. Facelift and eyelid surgery requires 2 to 3 week recovery time.
Plastic surgeries are not always successful. Physical conditions of a patient are considered before undergoing surgery, and those with the least health risks are allowed to go through the operation. The success rate is higher if the subject is fit, both physically and mentally. Although the success rate is high, surgery can still go wrong. In the case of plastic surgery gone wrong, your body might become de-shaped, but surgeons are well equipped and well experienced enough to correct this as quickly as possible, which is why you must not fly home immediately after surgery.
Plastic surgery is a wide field, with many operations coming under this category, and aftercare for every surgery is different. Following are some tips for aftercare:
- Visit your doctor on a regular basis and follow his/her guidelines.
- Make sure that you have someone with you because recovery can take some time.
- Ask your doctor about a healthy diet plan. Eat nutritious food according to that plan.
- Take some days off work. Take rest and avoid un-necessary exercise and movement.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Do not take medicines on your own because some pain killers can increase inflammation.
Alternatives to Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
- Microdermabrasion: in this method, fine crystals are rapidly sprayed onto the skin removing superficial dead skin layer.
- Botox: botulinum toxin is injected into the skin which temporarily paralyzes your muscles causing skin lines and wrinkles.
- CoolSculpting: The technique works by freezing the adipocytes present under your skin. These are crystallized and ultimately killed. After that, your body will digest them leaving fat free skin.
- Ultherapy: involves using ultrasound energy for skin tightening giving a smooth and healthy skin.
- Facial Fillers: these are long term, short term, or permanent fillers. Which improves your skin quality without surgery.
- Bio Stimulators: these are the boosters of collagen production. Increased collagen gives tight and youthful skin.
In the case of reconstructive surgery, breast prostheses may be considered an alternative to breast implants. Prostheses are an artificial body part. Artificial breasts are worn inside a suitable bra giving the appearance of natural breasts. It is useful for those who do not want to go for reconstructive surgery.
Before and After
The visible difference is seen before and after going through plastic surgery. In reconstructive surgeries, your body parts are reconstructed such as breasts. While in cosmetic surgery your physical appearance is altered.
The Most Common Plastic Surgery Procedures
To check prices or to book a Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Procedure in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, head on over to MyMediTravel now!