Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic plastic surgeries in the world. However, most people have the wrong idea about the purpose of this procedure. The purpose of liposuction is to remove fat that you cannot seem to get rid of even after diet and exercise. It is mainly performed to reshape and contour the body. While liposuction is not a treatment option for obesity, the procedure does have a lot of benefits which are:
- Improve the shape and contour of your body. Liposuction can eliminate unwanted fat from many areas of the body, such as the neck, hips, thighs, chest, buttocks, abdomen, and back.
- Enhance the appearance of your body, especially if you have experienced significant weight loss. After a significant weight loss, you may have abnormalities like excess skin. Liposuction can help you correct these abnormalities.
- Help men with gynecomastia. If you are a man who suffers from gynecomastia (a condition in which a man develops an excessive amount of breast tissue), liposuction can help remove the fatty breast tissue.
- Remove lipomas in certain areas of the body. Lipomas are benign fatty tumors, and liposuction can be used to remove them.
- Treat lipodystrophy syndrome. Lipodystrophy syndrome is a fat metabolism disturbance that causes excessive fat in some areas of the body, but none in other areas.
- Long-lasting effects. As long as you maintain your weight, you can enjoy the result of liposuction for a long time.
- Treat excessive sweating in the armpit. Liposuction is used as a treatment for excessive sweating in the armpit areas as well as chafing in the thighs and other areas.
- Immediate results. The results of liposuctions are almost immediate, so you can have an improved appearance in just a day. Although it may take a few weeks for swelling to subside, the enhancement of your appearance can be seen right away.
- Influences better habits. Since the results of liposuction need to be maintained, it often influences better habits and a healthier lifestyle, such as a well-balanced diet and exercise.
- Improve your wellbeing. By improving severe abnormalities and imbalances in your body, liposuction may be able to improve your wellbeing. Although it is not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle, liposuction can make you feel good.
Besides knowing all of its benefits, it is important to remember that there are various risks involved with liposuction before you decide to have it. After all, it is a surgery. So, if you are interested in getting the procedure, make sure you are well-informed about its side effects and risks.
- The gradual healing process. The healing process of liposuction is gradual, which can involve moderate scarring and bruises for about 4 to 5 months following the procedure. For the first few days, you may also experience vomiting.
- Nutritional deficiencies and anemia. Liposuction may lead to nutritional deficiencies from malabsorptive surgeries, as well as anemia.
- Cause thrombophlebitis. Liposuction can cause thrombophlebitis, a condition in which a blood clot forms in a vein and causes the vein to become significantly inflamed. This is more likely to happen when liposuction is used around the upper thigh or inside the knee.
- Numbness in certain areas. For at least several weeks after the procedure, you may experience temporary numbness in certain areas of your body.
- Skin infections as a result of the procedure. Skin infection from liposuction is very rare, but when it happens, you may need surgery to fix it.
- Inflammation for an extended period of time. The treated areas can be inflamed for up to 6 months following liposuction. The inflammation can also be accompanied by fluid discharge from the incisions.
- Problems with heart and kidney in the future. Liposuction involves pumping and suctioning significant amounts of fluids through your body. This change in fluid levels may cause problems to your heart and kidney in the future.
- It causes pulmonary embolism. Pulmonary embolism happens when fat enters the bloodstream and then the heart. It can lead to pulmonary edema, which is a condition where fluid accumulates in the lungs.
- The friction from the cannulas can cause skin burns. Skin burns can cause damage to the nerves and skin in the treated areas.
- Allergic reaction to the anesthesia. With any surgery that involves anesthesia, there is always a risk of having a bad reaction or an allergic reaction. In worst cases, this can be life-threatening.
Although the risks may seem like a lot, you should not let these risks make you panic and shy away from the procedure. Liposuction is very common and it is generally a very safe procedure. To avoid any of the risks that liposuction carries, always make sure your procedure is done by a qualified and skilled medical professional in an accredited medical center or recommended by MyMediTravel