Commonly known as a Mastopexy or mammoplasty, the breast lift differs from breast augmentation in that it helps to raise sagging breasts by modifying the size, contour, and elevation. It is a surgical procedure, performed by a plastic surgeon in which excess tissues and fat are removed. Some patients may choose to have breast implants added as part of the procedure. There is usually no medical reason to do it. While performing this surgery, the nipple-areola complex (NAC) is preserved to prevent damage to your lactational ability. Breasts look saggy due to overstretched suspensory ligaments of cooper, excessive tissue and skin. Lactation is also a cause of drooping breasts. This surgery restores your normal bust giving you round, elevated breasts. However, this surgery is not for everyone, you should talk to your doctor openly before opting for it. Your physical conditions and history are considered before going for surgery.
A breast lift won’t significantly change the size of your breasts. However, a breast lift can be performed in combination with breast augmentation or breast reduction, this will be determined by your surgeon and will require a scan of the breasts.
A number of techniques are available for a breast lift. They differ in the location of incisions. The one suitable for you is chosen according to the condition of your breasts. The procedure begins with making you lay in the supine position. You are anesthetized, so that you may not suffer from pain during the surgery. After this, an incision is given around your areola descending down towards the crease where it runs horizontally. Stitches are given inside the breasts to suspend them. Excess tissue is removed. Sometimes, the size of your areola is decreased and nipples are shifted to a higher position. In the end, the skin flap is put back to its place and the incisions are stitched. A bandage is applied over the operated area. You are given a surgical bra to wear. Small tubes are placed near your incisions to drain any fluid or blood. These tubes are removed after some days.
Length of Stay in Destination
This is a 2 to 3-hour procedure, after which you are moved from the operation theatre to a private recovery room. You are monitored for a few hours, and if everything goes fine you can go home on the same day, assuming no other surgeries were performed at the same time. After being discharged from the hospital, you have to come for check-ups on a regular basis to ensure that nothing goes wrong. You should remain in the Country for at least 7-10 days after the surgery. In this period, your incisions heal and stitches are removed. You can leave when told by your doctor.
The exact type of surgery decides your recovery time, but either way, you should take 2 to 3 weeks off work. There will be pain and swelling in the operated area and your breasts will appear swollen and taught for almost 2 weeks. There will be redness and pain around your incisions and your areola and nipple are likely to be numb for a few days. In the early days, painkillers are given to help you with pain and surgical bras can be worn for 2 to 3 weeks, after which, you can wear regular bras. No underwire bras should be worn for at least 6 weeks.
According to a survey, 80% of women are found satisfied by the result of breast lift surgery. Their bust is restored and sagginess disappeared. Failed surgeries leave marks on your breasts which can be subjected to hypertrophy. Also, there might be a difference in the shape of your both breasts. Changes continue to take place for a year after the surgery. In these cases, revisional breast lift surgery is performed.
Following points should be kept in mind to take care of yourself after being discharged from the hospital:
- Visit your doctor regularly for some time.
- Take your medicines as and when prescribed by the doctor.
- Follow a healthy diet plan for a better recovery.
- Ensure the presence of someone with you to look after you.
- Do not wear push up bras for 5 to 6 weeks after the surgery.
- Wear surgical bras in the early few days.
- Avoid excessive movement of your breasts.
- Do not take a bath as long as bandages are there. Wet bandages can be the cause of infection.
- Do not bend.
- Avoid sexual activity for at least 2 weeks.
- Do not lift heavy objects or kids. It can put stress on your stitches, removing them before due time.
Alternatives to Breast Lift Procedure
Following are some non-surgical alternatives to breast lift surgery:
- Padded bras: padded bras or push up bras give a rounded contour to your breasts without incisions. Bras lift your breasts up eliminating the droopy appearance. However, this is not a permanent method.
- Vampire breast lift: in this procedure, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections are given which restore your bust. This is a 20-minute procedure in which a numbing cream is applied onto your breasts. After they go numb, PRP along with hyaluronic acid is injected into your breasts. It tightens your breasts and lifts them up. Hyaluronic acid increases the efficacy of PRP.
- Laser treatment: high power laser is used to stimulate the growth of collagen. It only targets the outer layers of skin. Hence, rejuvenating the skin only.
- Caci bust treatment: a device releasing electrical impulses is moved over your breasts. It hydrates your skin and gives strength to the tissue. Improving the contour of your breasts.
- Botox: These injections are given into your chest muscles. As a result, these muscles relax. To compensate for these muscles, your back muscles contract, lifting your breasts higher. This can last for 3 to 4 months.
- Thermage: in this procedure, radio waves are used to tighten the skin of your bust. Production of collagen is stimulated which lift the skin of your droopy breasts.
- Chest exercises: you can do different chest exercises to strengthen your chest muscles. It tightens the skin and raises your breasts. It is more effective if performed under the supervision of an instructor.
Before and After Breast Lift
Before the surgery, you have saggy, droopy breasts and you are unhappy with your physical appearance. After surgery, your breasts look rounded and raised. Patient reviews often highlight an improved self-image and self-confidence.
To check prices or to book a Breast Lift Procedure in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, head on over to MyMediTravel now!