Also known as Blepharoplasty. This form of plastic surgery is used to correct defects of the eyelids or for aesthetically modifying the eye region of the face. It involves the removal of excess skin and fat from around the eyes and the reinforcement of the corresponding muscle and tendon tissues and is centered around the area between the eyebrow and the upper portion of the cheek. Double eyelid surgery creates a crease that makes the eyes appear larger and more alert. While Caucasians typically are born with a double eyelid crease, approximately 50% of East-Asians do not have a double eyelid crease. Therefore, double eyelid surgery is a highly specialized procedure performed mainly on persons of East-Asian descent. It is the most common type of plastic surgery performed in South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.
Double eyelid surgery is a safe and versatile surgery for Asians and other patients with monolids. The surgery makes the eyes appear larger and gives them a more alert appearance. There are different techniques that can be customized to achieve the desired results, tailored for each individual patient. Potential patients should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine which double eyelid surgery technique is the best option to achieve their desired results.
Surgery is performed under local anesthesia and sedation will help you avoid pain and discomfort associated with the surgery. The Doctor draws pre-operative lines on your eyelids and incisions are made along your natural creases, as these creases hide your scars after you recover. If the surgery is planned for both the upper and lower eyelids, the upper eyelid is treated first. Excessive fat, skin, and muscle are removed through this incision and then it is stitched. The same procedure is repeated on the lower eyelid. Sometimes, incisions are made inside your eyelids, this is usually an option for dark-skinned people as white scars look prominent on their skin. Inside incisions will have inside stitches – bandages are applied over the wound.
The three most common techniques for creating a double eyelid crease are the Full Incision, Minimal Incision, and the Suture Technique – you will have the option to discuss with your surgeon about which is the most suitable treatment for you.
Length of Stay in Destination
This is a short surgical procedure performed in the outpatient department. It takes 1 to 3 hours in the operation theatre after which you do not need to stay in the hospital. You are discharged after a complete medical checkup which is carried out on the same day. You should stay in the Country for at least 14 days after you have undergone blepharoplasty surgery. During this period you are kept under observation and you will attend follow up checks. Your health conditions are monitored and stitches are removed after 5 to 7 days. If everything goes fine during this time, you can go home when allowed by your physician.
Immediately after the surgery, you will suffer from pain and discomfort and you will also experience blurred vision and puffiness of the eyes. Your eyes become sensitive to light and there is swelling and bruising in the initial days which will subside after 1 to 2 weeks. Several months are required before you will see the final results. You will have to take 2 to 3 weeks off work and after this, you can expect to return to office work. You will have to wait for at least 6 weeks if your job requires physical effort.
Consider the following:
- Use ice packs to deal with the swelling and inflammation. Apply ice on your eyes 4 to 5 times a day immediately after the surgery.
- Do not smoke or drink because tobacco and alcohol decrease your natural healing ability.
- Avoid strenuous activities such as the gym, running, swimming, etc. for at least 10 days after the surgery.
- Use prescribed eye drops and ointments regularly.
- Look for any kind of irritation, redness or swelling. Visit your doctor immediately if you experience any issues.
- Do not rub your eyes.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight. Do not go out for the first couple of days. Use sunglasses if necessary.
- Do not use contact lenses for at least 2 weeks.
- Sleep with your head at an angle of 45° that is slightly higher than your chest.
- Ensure your diet is rich in vitamins.
- Use clean gauze to change your bandage on a daily basis.
- Do not put stress on your eyes.
- Do not get your bandage wet as It can cause infection.
Double Eyelid Surgery has a high success rate but issues can arise as with any surgery, for example, an infection, blood clot formation, scar hypertrophy, etc. Sometimes, there is re-drooping of your eyelids in cases of failed surgery. Usually, only one surgery is required, but if you are unsatisfied, another surgery is always possible, it will have to wait several months though to give your eyes sufficient time to recover from the primary surgery. According to a study, only 9.5% of the subjects showed some complications after the surgery and revision surgeries are performed in these cases. The rest of the subjects were completely satisfied with the results of the surgery.
Alternatives to Double Eyelid Surgery
The following are some effective non-surgical alternatives to double eyelid surgery:
- Botox: with this method, botulinum toxin is injected into the eyelids. This causes relaxation of the muscle. It has immediate results which can last for 3 to 4 months. Follow up treatments will be required to maintain the results.
- Ultherapy: this method makes use of ultrasound rays to stimulate and boost collagen production in the deeper layers of your skin. It gives a fresh and youthful appearance to your skin along with tightening it.
- Dermal fillers: substances such as Restylane and Juvederm are injected into your eyelids. These fillers work to decrease skin lines and wrinkles. They give a lifted appearance to your eyelids.
- Skin resurfacing: a number of treatments come under this category. Such as laser resurfacing, micro needling, laser treatment, etc. They are helpful in lifting your eyelids non-surgically.
For more information about Double Eyelid Surgery with before and after images, watch this short video.
Before and After Double Eyelid Surgery
Discuss your desired results, procedure, success rate, recovery time, cost, etc. with your doctor before going for the surgery, also check with your doctor that you are a perfect candidate for the surgery or not.
Before double eyelid surgery, you may have hooded or droopy eyelids which cover your eye-lashes and decrease your vision, making you appear older than your age and your eye make-up is not visible. After the surgery, you have your desired double eyelids, droopiness goes away and you feel betterment in your vision. There are no more hooded eyes and under eye bags – it enhances your aesthetic beauty and makes you look and feel younger.
To check prices or to book a Double Eyelid Surgery Procedure in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, head on over to MyMediTravel now!